Lately there has been quite a bit of buzz going around through the media about the benefits of probiotics. What are they?
Probiotics are live organisms that are thought to be beneficial to a host organism. In the last few years, there has been a greater awareness about the importance of a healthy digestive tract and the fact that probiotics can help us to maintain regularity and improve our immune system. It seems like you can purchase a probiotic just about anywhere these days. Many chain stores have them stocked in capsule forms on the shelves and the Commercial yogurt companies are sweeping the nation with their probiotic rich yogurt! What the media and the food manufacturing companies are NOT telling us is that many of the “probiotic foods” that are widely available, are actually not LIVE by the time you purchase and consume your products.
There are many different forms of probiotics, and many of us consume them daily without even knowing it. Unfortunately, with the shape of our Food and Healthcare system, most of us are not consuming enough to make a difference. The human body IS amazing, and CAN get by without the nutrients it needs to survive, BUT unfortunately, usually not without medical problems or DIGESTIVE TURMOIL! Probiotics help our bodies to perform life sustaining functions.
- Counteract vitamin B12 deficiency. (lactobacillus reuteri CRL1098 prevents side effects produced by a nutritional b12 deficiency)
- Produce B vitamins as a whole ( certain strains of lactic acid bacteria have the capability to synthesize water soluble vitamins)
- Break down pesticides (lactobacillus from Kim Chi was found to break down 6 different pesticides that are classified as neurotoxic)
- Breaks down xenobiotic hormones such as BPA that disrupt hormone development in children.
- Line the digestive tract with healthy bacteria to aid in digestion and nutrient absorption
- Probiotics have been shown to prevent and/or ameliorate over 150 different diseases
- Probiotics perform at least 33 pharmacological actions
(ie: anti allergic agents, anti bacterial agents, anti infective, anti inflammatory, antidepressive, anti fungal, antioxidant, anti proliferative, anti viral, anti cholesteremic, cardioprotective, chemopreventive, gastroprotective, hepato protective, immunomodulatory, radioprotective, promotes tumor necrosis factor- and more.)
Don’t skimp on the probiotics. You deserve a Therapuetic grade supplement to replenish your body with the good bacteria it needs!