Although doctors prescribe colon cleansing as preparation for Houston Colon Hydrotherapy Houston Colon Care Center resized 600medical procedures such as colonoscopy, most don’t recommend colon cleansing for detoxification. Their reasoning is simple: Your digestive system and bowel naturally eliminate waste material and bacteria — your body doesn’t need colon cleansing to do this.
Proponents of colon cleansing, on the other hand, believe that toxins from your gastrointestinal tract can cause a variety of health problems, such as arthritis, allergies and asthma. They believe that colon cleansing — also called a colonic or a colonic irrigation — improves health by removing toxins, promoting healthy intestinal bacteria, boosting your energy and enhancing your immune system. Colon cleansing is also promoted as treatment for cancer and numerous other conditions.
In fact, colon cleansing can sometimes be harmful. The main concerns with colon cleansing are that it can:
- Increase your risk of dehydration
- Lead to bowel perforations
- Increase the risk of infection
- Cause a rise in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or heart disease
If you choose to do colon cleansing, be sure to take these precautions:
- Check with your conventional medical providers first, especially if you take any medications or have any health problems.
- Make sure your colon-cleansing practitioner uses disposable equipment that hasn’t been previously used.
- Stay well hydrated by drinking lots of fluids while undergoing colon cleansing to prevent dehydration.
- Get a list of specific herbal ingredients and amounts in any colon-cleansing products you use — some herbal supplements can cause health problems.
Interested in a natural non-herbal based colon cleanser?
Colon Hydrotherapy supports the remove of stool, mucous, and other harmful materials that is lodged in the colon. It is used as a non-laxative preparation for colonoscopy, endoscopy or when medically indicated.
Here at Houston Colon Care Center, we strive to make colon hydrotherapy –also known as colonic or colon irrigation a relaxing and comfortable experience. Please call, we are happy to answer any questions regarding the process.
Source: Mayo Clinic Gastroenterologist